Monday 22 April 2013

A Hobbit Adventure with Blinkbox

The fabulous Lauren asked recently if anyone wanted a chance to watch the Hobbit, as my husband has been waiting forever to see it, I replied with a yes please.

Lauren kindly sent me 3 codes to allow me to watch 3 films online with Blinkbox, we decided to throughly test it and try all the ways possible in our house, via PS3, Streaming and by downloading it to the laptop.


We have been pretty impressed with the system in general to be honest, we started off watching the latest Resident Evil film, which we decided to stream via the PS3 using its browser window, I will point out that we have fibre optic broadband so have a good speed at home as a general rule so we were hoping that the Blinkbox service had a decent streaming system, the PS3 browser is not so great in my opinion, I find it clunky and slow at times regardless of the speed of my internet, so we thought it might be a bit of a pain running it.



In the end our worries were not confirmed, we had a couple of moment where it buffered for a few seconds but nothing major and it was watchable, the film wasn't too bad either, definitely better than the  last film.

For our second choice of film we chose Pitch Perfect, we decided to try streaming it onto the Laptop, luckily we can hook the laptop up to the TV with a HDMI cable which means we didn't have watch it on the tiny screen, the streaming was near perfect, it buffered once near the beginning of the film but otherwise was perfect!


Pitch perfect itself was outstanding, I laughed so much and the music was fabulous, if you are a lover of Glee you will love it.

So onto our final choice and the main attraction The Hobbit, we chose to download the Blinkbox download manager and download the film to the laptop to eliminate the streaming issues with buffering it worked perfectly, not buffering, crisp clear picture, it allowed us to sit back and enjoy the film.


The hobbit was amazing! I have not read the book, and I have no idea why as I have it, I first read the lord of the rings series when I was 19 and I have read them about 6-7 times since, I think I will find my copy of the hobbit out tonight and make a start on it.

The film was fabulous, had a couple of slow places, and genuine laugh out loud moments too, the characters are excellent, I did worry myself a little that I fancied a dwarf until I realised he was Aidan Turner who I loved in being human, so I didn't feel so bad after that.

If you loved LOTR I highly recommend The Hobbit, if not avoid as you will likely not like it.

We watch movies online quite often and I am subscribed to two other online film services, but we will be topping up our Blinkbox account every month so we can watch the odd new release without having to wait for them to be sent out to us.

I would like to see them offer a monthly subscription service to allow you to watch most of the older films and TV series as part of that, this is mainly because paying for each episode works out more expensive for me as most of them are on my other services.

Head on over to Blinkbox and give it a try it is fast and simple to set up, you can also earn Tesco Clubcard points which is always a bonus.


No comments:

Post a Comment