Sunday 2 October 2011

Puppies Puppies Puppies!

OMG what a week, I have felt sky high rock bottom and everything between!

I left my house last Saturday to go stay at my mums for the week to help out with there dog ruby who was due to give birth to her first litter.

She went into the first stages of labour that night and started to have contractions on sunday morning, she had the first pup at 10.30 am and the final one at 5.30pm. she was exhausted but seemed ok, she had food and a drink after and managed to feed the puppies with some help all 6 of them, we began to worry as she was struggling to keep feeding the pups and very exhausted and still having minor contractions later in the evening.
After a chat with the night vet we took her in, as I wasn't sure if she was in trouble with a stuck pup of still had placenta to birth.
After an examination and some injections to induce more contractions it was discovered she did have placenta left so I am glad we were observing her so closely as it can make them very ill.

In the next few days she tried very hard to feed her pups but through the exhaustion and pain she wasn't handiling it too well so we too the vets advice and I am now hand rearing the puppies with the help of my husband.
It is sure to be exhausting but such a wonderful feeling to see them grow from strength to strength, need to find them the perfect forever homes or ill find it very hard to say goodbye to them, but i will keep them safe and health for Ruby as she is such a beautiful and loving dog who I adore!

The first pup Dexter who I am keeping.


His nickname will forever be lord voldermort as he looked like him for the first 3 days :)


All 6 of the pups


A very exhausted ruby!


7 day old Dexter


we gave the other pups names so we can keep track of them below is Sirius


Then Ron


Harry, he has a little zigzag flash of whit on his back :)


Hermione


The only one not harry potter related was the pup below who is a little girl and was born 5th so my mum called her Chanel (Number5 )


Sorry No outfit posts from last week as I was mostly in pyjamas and Joggers all week so it didn't matter if they got dirty helping with the pups.

of for the next feed, they are every 2 hours day and night so I may be a wreck by the end of the week.

Love Mhairi. xx

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh! Super cute! Now i'm all puppy clucky! I love animals so much, SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are adorable, we are knackered but loving every minute! xx

    ReplyDelete